15 Powerful Ways to Get Rid of Swollen Hands Naturally
Swelling or inflammation or edema in medical term which can be affected any part of our body, you may observe swelling or edema more in hands, arms, feet, ankles and legs which may happen during pregnancy or after an injury or can be the result of underlying disease as congestive heart failure, kidney disease or cirrhosis of liver and even because side effect of medication.
This disease can stay for short term or long term depends of type, care, treatment and medication. Sometimes tiny blood vessels in hands leak fluid. This could build up and cause swelling.
Some Causes behind Swollen Hands
Many causes are behind getting swollen hands. Certain jobs require continuous wrist and hand movements such as typing, writing, playing musical instruments, sewing or assembly line jobs, and you may obtain swollen hands from your profession related activities. In such situation keep your hands on more rest to get rid.
Swollen may result from an injury or from other reasons, a common medical condition that causes excess fluids to store in various locations of our body including our hands, feet, ankles and legs. Edema or swelling or inflammation whatever we name it, may be caused by pregnancy, medications or specific medical conditions, such kidney issues, lymphatic system complications or congestive heart failure.
Here are some causes behind the scene swollen hands and swelling in our other body organs,
- Infection: Some bacterial infections that affect the hands get into the blood stream and lymph nodes. Your hands might be experiencing carpal tunnel syndrome or cellulite and swells.
- Allergic reaction: When our body encounters something allergic to, and releases histamines into our bloodstream causes swelling.
- Injury: Injury is one of the most common causes of swelling. Liquids such as blood accumulate in the affected area, causing swelling. As first aid, apply cold to constrict the blood vessel, then apply heat to help flush out the fluids.
- Obesity: Obesity causes the body’s lymphatic system to slow down, resulting in swollen in the hands and feet. Consult a doctor or dietitian to come up with a weight-loss plan if you think your swelling can be the result of obesity.
Here are some home remedies for reducing swollen fingers. Read and choose that suitable for you.
Powerful Ways to Get Rid of Swollen Hands
Here are ways to get rid of swollen hands:
1. Free Hand Exercise
You can so simple exercise to treat swollen fingers and hands that caused due to reduced blood circulation, fluid retention, stress or strain. Some normal exercises like flexing the fingers reduce the buildup of fluids and also reduce the strain on your hand muscles.
- Close your fingers into a fist and hold this position for a minute.
- Then slowly open your hands fist and stretch out the fingers.
- Do the same cycle for few times.
- Repeat this exercise for several times daily.
2. Raise Hands Up
There are several ways to get rid of swollen hands. Keep your swollen hands above your heart many times each day to give gravity a chance to pull some of the fluid out. At night, place your affected hand and forearm on a stack of pillows so the fluid can drain away while you sleep.
3. Hydrotherapy to Rid of Swollen Hands
To treat any pain or swelling, warm or cold compress is commonly used everywhere, but here you are going to use both to improve blood circulation and reduce the swelling or inflammation.
- Fill in 2 bowls as one with cold water and the other with warm water.
- For 3 – 4 minutes hold the affected fingers or hands in warm water.
- Next take out your hands and place in cold water for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Repeat this hydrotherapy process for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Continue doing until you get complete relief from swelling for 3 – 4 times daily.
4. Anti-Inflammatory Foods
Include anti-inflammatory rich foods in your daily diet like omega – 3 fatty acids, garlic, cayenne pepper, ginger, cinnamon and cloves to recover soon from swelling. This is also ways to get rid of swollen hands.
5. Drinking plenty of water
Drink more water and other natural healthy drinks such as fruit juice to stay hydrated and to prevent water retention and thereby swelling in your fingers or hands or other parts of body.
Not only for swollen hands, but drinking more water is a common term for most of the diseases to cure of. Drinking water habit works as preventive for many diseases.
6. Warm Oil Massage
To comfort the sore muscles, improves blood circulation and drains out the excess fluid to get rid of swelling and stiffness, warm oil massage is a simple way out.
- Slightly heat to warm some olive oil or mustard oil or castor oil.
- Rub the warm oil on the affected fingers, hands and massage the affected area gently for 5 minutes by other hand fingers.
- Make sure that you start massage from the tip of the affected finger and move it towards heart.
- Apply this massage gently for few times daily till cure.
7. Ice Cube
Get some Ice cubes from your freezer then put in a zipper-lock bag or in a similar bag or a bag of frozen vegetables for our cold therapy.
- Place the ice bag on the affected area of hands. Take the advantage of cold as cold helps to lessen swelling.
- Wrap the ice bag in a thin towel or fabric to avoid any irritation on your skin.
- Put it on your hand for 10 minutes, then 10 minutes off, and another 10 minutes put on your hands again.
- Do for 20 minutes total of cold at a time, not more than this at the same session.
8. Bathe With Rosemary Water
Naturally rosemary is great for reducing joint and cartilage swelling.
- Mix up two stems of rosemary medicinal plant with hot water.
- Then sink your swollen fingers in the mixed hot water for three minutes. Make sure not too hot for you.
- Then, do the same with a bowl of cold water as switch from hot water to cold water.
- By switching between these two temperatures, your blood flow will improve, and will reduce the swelling.
- Complete this treatment by massaging your swollen hands with a few drops of rosemary oil.
9. Turmeric as Anti-Inflammatory
Turmeric is known as antioxidant, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory naturally and widely used for healing from diseases like swollen hands, fingers, muscle sprains, arthritis and other injuries and pains because of the diseases.
- Half teaspoon of turmeric powder put in enough olive oil and mix well to make a paste.
- Rub and spread this paste all over the affected fingers.
- Wait few minutes to get dry and wash your fingers with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process twice in a day till you get rid of swelling.
10. Ginger Root to Rid of Swollen Hands
This medicinal ginger root naturally wealthy and powerful to fight against infection, swelling and heals from some diseases. A simple home remedy here as,
- Grind few slices of ginger root and mix with hot water.
- Soak your swollen fingers or hands in this mixture for a few minutes.
- Now remove the grinded ginger from water and apply it to the affected area.
- This remedy process heals swollen hands soon.
11. Black Tea Bags to Relief from Swelling
Black tea is naturally enriched with antioxidants and tannins that prevent the fluid retention and swelling. Black Tea bags tighten skin by shrinking the blood vessels.
- Make black tea using a black tea bag as usual with hot water.
- Take out the tea bag and squeeze it to remove excess water.
- Keep it in refrigerator for 15 minutes and place the cold tea bag over the swollen fingers or hands.
- Hold the tea bag for 10 – 15 minutes time.
- Repeat the same process for 2 – 4 times daily for getting a quick result.
12. Bacterial Infection and Garlic Clove
Bacterial infections may cause of swelling on hands. In case you suspect that the swelling in your fingers is the result of a bacterial infection, the Garlic Clove is a good choice of healing swelling.
- Rub a garlic clove on the affected area that swollen. Garlic Clove plant is a great natural anti-bacterial agent that will help to reduce swelling caused by bacteria. Good idea if you plant one or few in your garden for any time use.
13. Bandage to rid of Swollen Hands
This is a very simple but worthy method to handle swelling.
- Bind an elastic bandage or ace wrap around the wrist and palm using an even pressure during day time and remove it at night before bed time.
Bandaging or compressing the hand and wrist will clear the fluid retention and improves blood circulation to prevent swollen fingers.
14. Less Salt intake
While suffering from swelling caused any reasons, consume less salt, about 1 teaspoon daily in any form and use herbs or seasonings instead of salt to reduce swelling.
High intake of sodium or salt causes our body to retain excess fluid delays to heal from any type of swelling.
15. Epsom Salt as Remedy of Swollen Hands
Magnesium sulfate a natural healing substance in Epsom salt makes it as the best remedy for treating swollen fingers, hands, feet or other parts of our body. Epsom salt eases muscles and relieves pain.
- Mix 1 – 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt in a large bowl of hot water.
- Soak the affected fingers in this water for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Repeat the same process for once or twice daily till you get complete relief from the swelling in your fingers, hands.
- Alternatively you can soak a clean cloth in the prepared water and squeeze it to remove excess then place it over the swollen hands for few minutes.
By the way you may also read about: Ways to Get Rid of Fat Inner Thighs
How to Prevent From Swollen Hands
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Healthy Diet
- Lessen Sodium or salt in Diet
- Consume fresh fruits and vegetables
- Drink more water
- Exercises for Hands
- Often raise Hands above heart level and head for proper blood circulation.
- Take frequent breaks to rest the hands from activities related to use of hands and fingers
- Seek medical attention if any swelling exists more than a week.
These all and adding few more, you can make your prevention plan for any type of swelling. And even to avoid a lot of diseases.
If left untreated and careless, Swelling or Edema may cause Complications as,
- Scarring between layers of tissue
- Stretched skin, which can become itchy and uncomfortable
- Increased risk of infection in the swollen area
- Decreased blood circulation
- Decreased elasticity of arteries, veins, joints and muscles
- Increased risk of skin ulcers
- Increasingly painful swelling
- Difficulty walking
In order to prevent swelling in hands, make up your mind to bring some small changes in your daily lifestyle, professional activities and dietary. These home remedies are not to avoid professional medical treatment. Seek help from professionals before any complication due to negligence or too much depending on home remedies, as we are not much sure what is behind the swelling.
If those ways to get rid of swollen hands are not working, please visit your doctor for further medical treatment to prevent worse conditions.
15 Powerful ways to get rid of swollen hands remedy tips, causes, prevention and probably complications are explained with care for you to by MedicPole. Enjoy reading to apply if you need.
You can also read about: