35 Helpful Ways How to Treat Skin Abscess at Home
Abscess is a bump that forms underneath the skin. It is also known as boils. Abscess causes pain and pus to form in the skin.
Moreover, it can spread easily. An infected area of the skin can affect other parts of the skin too if one is not careful in handling it. Here are 35 Ways How to Treat Skin Abscess at Home you can try. However, before we know the ways to cure it, you must know first causes and effects of skin abscess, as follows:
Causes of Skin Abscess
Some of these are common causes of skin abscess:
- Blockage in sebaceous gland
- Small cuts
- Tiny punctures
- Poor nutrition
- Poor hygiene
Effects from Skin Abscess
These are the effects from a skin abscess:
- Infect hair follicle
- Swollen skin
- White and yellow puss
Ways to Treat Skin Abscess
Skin abscess needs immediate action and below are some treatments that you can easily do at home:
1. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is highly effective in treating skin abscess.
- Mix some with a small amount of olive oil.
- Use a cotton to apply gently on the skin.
- Repeat until skin is healed.
2. Epsom Salt
The epsom salt can dry up the boil to heal it faster.
- Dilute some epsom salt in warm water.
- Use a cloth as a compress and put it on your infected skin.
- Leave it for around 20 minutes.
3. Warm Water
Other than using an epsom salt, you can also use plain water.
- Boil water until it is warm.
- Compress the skin as the heat stimulate antibodies.
- Repeat for a couple of times a day.
4. Turmeric Powder
Turmeric can purify the skin quickly.
- Mix some turmeric powder with ginger.
- Apply the paste on the skin
- Wash it off when it has dried up.
5. Neem Oil
Neem oil has antiseptic property which is good for the skin.
- Grab a cotton swab.
- Apply some oil on infected skin.
- Let dry and repeat frequently.
6. Castor Oil
Castor oil can also fight off the bacterias on your skin.
- Use a cotton swab.
- Apply some castor oil on abscess.
- Repeat every day.
7. Antibiotic Ointment
You can purchase some antibiotic ointments from the drug stores to get rid of your abscess. Using these ointments will soothe the skin and prevent further infection to the skin. Moreover, ointment can also help in healing the skin at at a faster rate. For those of you who are quite active and do not have too many time then this is the quickest remedy that you can do at home.
You can use it on abscess that is not open yet.
- Apply a small amount of toothpaste on the abscess.
- Wait for it to dry.
- Wash it off.
Apply an activated charcoal on the infected skin. Wash off the charcoal once it is dry. Activated charcoal is great at detoxifying the skin. It can be in the form of gel, solution or a mask that contains charcoal. Charcoal has a great absorbing quality that can release all the pus.
You will need a raw potato for this.
- Cut out a small portion of a potato.
- Wash briefly.
- Bandage the potato on your abscess.
- Leave it for an entire night.
11. Red Onion
A raw red onion is antiseptic.
- Peel it and wash it briefly.
- Slice a thin portion of it.
- Place on your abscess.
- Bandage it to make it stay.
- Chop some garlic finely to make a paste.
- Rub the paste on the boils.
- Let it stay for around 3 hours.
The parsley leaves can promote healing without causing pain or any further infection.
- Take 6 leaves.
- Boil the leaves in water.
- Take them out.
- Place on abscess for an hour.
- Boil some water until it is warm, not too hot.
- Take 1 tablespoon of cornmeal and add to the warm water.
- Mix until the paste forms a thick dough.
- Place the paste on the skin until it is dry.
15. Egg White
You will only need the white egg to heal your skin.
- Beat the egg white until it foams and forms a paste.
- Apply the paste on your infected skin.
- Wait until it is dry and then wash it off.
Besides the treatments above, here are more ways to heal your skin.
- Black Seed Paste: Grind to create paste and apply.
- Soaked Bread: Soak in warm milk or water to reduce inflammation.
- Heat Packs: Place on abscess to increase circulation.
- Baking Soda: Form paste with salt and water.
- Fenugreek Leaves: Make paste and apply until dry.
- Echinacea Tea: Drink for faster recovery.
- Pomegranate Skin: Dry and make paste with lemon juice.
- Aloe Vera: Apply flesh on infected skin.
- Cumin Seeds: Grind and add water to make paste.
- Nutmeg: Drink with warm milk.
- Basil Leaves: Extract the juice.
- Ginger: Grind to make thick paste.
- Eucalyptus Oil: Apply on abscess.
- Marshmallow Leaf: Wrap as bandage.
- Root Tea: Drink for healing.
- Betel Leaves: Boil in water and apply.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Make paste with baking soda.
- Mustard: Apply with coconut oil.
- Jelly Jar: Heat a jar and place on the abscess.
- Japanese Honeysuckle: Spread liquid on infected area.
Things to Consider
You have to repeat some treatments for a number of days or weeks until your abscess is gone. Also, while treating your abscess, never pick on it. Besides the pain, it may infect other areas on the skin.
If the abscess grows unusually larger, then it is time to visit the doctor. Moreover, if you have diabetes then take extra precautions as your skin might find it hard to heal.
- How to Relieve Swollen Gum at Home.
- Ways to Get Rid of Itchy Bug Bites
- Best Ways to Get Rid of Dark Spots Caused by Acne
You can do these things to prevent skin abscess:
- Practice good hygiene.
- Change towels frequently.
- Exfoliate skin regularly.
- Use antibacterial soap.
- Reduce food containing artificial sugar, fats and oil.
Beside what i explained above, here i give you another information that is video you can watch about another ways how to treat skin abscess at home. Check this out.
Abscess can be painful and annoying to look at. Nevertheless, always treat it with care to ensure complete healing.