35 Ways How to Treat A Torn Ligament in Your Wrist
A torn ligament is a serious issue that you should treat according to how severe it is. Ligament is an important part of your wrist as it connects your joints to your bones.
Furthermore, torn ligament usually not only effected a wrist, but also arm, ankle, leg, knee, as well as foot. Thus, ligament is important part of the healthy joint.
Here are the 35 Ways How to Treat A Torn Ligament in Your Wrist that you can do. Find out the causes and effects from torn ligament to protect your wrist first. As follows:
Causes of Torn Ligament
- A fall
- Being hit
- Playing sports
- Wrong movement
- Huge pressure on wrist
Effects from Torn Ligament
- Feeling of wrist snapping
- Weak wrist
Treatments for Torn Ligament
These are the treatments for you to do:
1. Give Ice
Ice the very first treatment that you can do to ease the injury on your wrist.
- Wrap an ice pack or frozen food in cloth.
- Place on wrist for 20 minutes.
- Repeat up to 3 times a day.
On the event of when you feel that there is an injury to your wrist, immediately stop whatever you are doing. Give your wrist a rest. Rest is important as it prevents your wrist from becoming even worse. Moreover, you should also keep observing your wrist as swelling and discolouration begin to appear.
3. Take Drugs
There are some drugs that you can take to ease the pain and swelling. These drugs are easily bought from the pharmacy. Some anti-inflammatory drugs can reduce the swelling. As for the pain, you can take Advil or Tylenol.
4. Put Wrist on Higher Level
When trying to heal a torn ligament, you have to put your wrist at a certain level. It must be placed higher than your heart. By doing this, you can lessen the blood that causes swelling. Put your wrist on a pillow or a chair.
5. Use Elastic Bandage
You can use an elastic bandage to help in healing the torn ligament. The bandage will give a pressure to the wrist. The pressure prevents the formation of excess fluid around the wrist. The excess fluid can limit your movement and increase feeling of discomfort.
6. Reduce Activity
You will need to start reducing activities that involve using your wrist. With a torn ligament, you will not want to worsen the inflammation. While waiting for the torn ligament to heal, you can use your other wrist to do things instead. Take things easy because healing it won’t be quick.
7. Going to the Doctor
You will need to visit your doctor for your wrist. A torn ligament can turn into a serious issue. If you don’t treat it well, you may feel the impact in the future too. The doctor can tell you how severe it is and what treatment you should do to heal it.
8. Warm Water Compress
Other than placing ice on your wrist, you can also use a warm compress to treat it. The warmth from the compress can help in reducing the pain.
- Boil water until warm.
- Soak a clean cloth for compress.
- Apply on your wrist as often as you want.
- Repeat until the wrist is healed.
9. Apply Lettuce Leaves
Lettuce leaves are not just for eating. They are also great at reducing the swelling from the torn ligament.
- Cut some lettuce leaves.
- Place them on the injured wrist.
- Bandage to make them stay.
- Replace leaves once they become hot.
10. Rub Clove Oil
Clove oil has good pain reliever quality. It is able to make the muscles in the injured wrist to be more relaxed.
- Warm up some clove oil.
- Let it cool down for a bit.
- Rub the oil all over the wrist.
11. Apply Garlic Oil
Garlic oil can reduce swelling as it has an anti-inflammatory quality. It is often used as a healing medium for arthritis and many other muscle problem.
- Rub some garlic oil on wrist.
- Massage gently.
- Apply daily until pain subsides.
12. Use Sesame Oil
Sesame oil is also effective in treating an injured wrist. It can help relieve the pain caused by the affected ligament.
- Heat some sesame oil.
- Add a teaspoon of pepper.
- Fry until they are seared.
- Apply for a couple of times during the day.
13. Apply Comfrey Oil
Comfrey is very known for its quality to heal wounds. It contains a substance that can trigger cells to grow. Moreover, it also lessen inflammation from swelling. Apply some comfrey oil or gel on your wrist. Continue applying until your pain decreases.
14. Eat Lean Proteins
Eat more lean proteins while you are in the process of healing your wrist. Lean proteins are great at returning the flexibility of the ligaments. Some good lean proteins that you should consume are chicken, fish or turkey. You can also eat a lot of beans.
15. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil can increase the recovery rate and decrease your pain.
- Apply lavender oil on wrist.
- Rub and massage gently.
- You can use the oil as compress too.
- Ways to Get Rid of Feet Swelling
- How to Treat Sore Knee from Running
- How to Heal Your Skin after Sunburn
Below are more treatments you can try.
- Vitamin C: Repairs body tissues.
- Physical Therapist: Gain muscle strength back.
- Antioxidant Fruits: Helps in recovering quickly.
- Horse Chestnut Gel: Rub a few times daily on the wrist.
- Thyme Oil: Compress on the wrist.
- Arnica Balm: Apply on the wrist.
- Massage: Professional massage reduce swelling.
- Reduce Stress: Helps the body to recover.
- Chamomile Tea: Drink as a stress reliever. Read more about Helpful Ways How to Get Good Sleep When Stressed.
- Surgery: Repairs torn ligaments.
- Wrist Exercise: Recovers mobility.
- Take Collagen Supplement: Helps fix the tissues.
- Consume Omega 3: Recovers wounds.
- Peppermint Oil: Reduce bruising or discolouration.
- Wrist Injection: Quicker recovery.
- Wear a Brace: Immobilise wrist from further injuries.
- Wrap a Tensor Bandage: Support wrist while it’s healing.
- Stretching: Increases blood flow to injured wrist.
- Eucalyptus Oil: Rub on wrist.
- Warm Bath: Soak wrist.
Things to Consider
Remember that before taking any drugs, make sure that they won’t react to the other drugs that you are currently taking. Always ask your pharmacists for advice before consuming your drugs.
Do these things to prevent torn ligament:
- Exercise regularly.
- Warm up the muscles.
- Stretch slowly.
- Don’t carry heavy things.
- Rest when necessary.
Beside what I explained above, here i give you proven information from doctor about torn ligament in wrist, check this out.
Hopefully most of the treatments will help your wrist to recover. Always remember to take safety precautions to avoid the same injury again.