Symptoms of Wavy Nails – Types, Causes, and Treatments
Nails that are wavy on its surface is unusual thing that can’t be ignored. Wavy nails can be an early symptom of some diseases. Usually, the odd surface of the nail can also be accompanied by other symptoms, such as change of nail color and red-colored nail skin that get lower. Here are number of diseases that closely related to wavy nails.
Read also: Early Symptoms of Heart Disease
1. Onychomycosis or Nail Infection
This type of skin disease usually triggered by fungal infection where we commonly refers it to dermatomycosis. The area that will be attacked by thing disease occur on fingers and toes. You may also read fungus medication you can try at home.
Air which is hot and humid will open a big opportunity for this fungal disease to occur. Several risk factors for a person with this disease are:
- Older age.
- Health history of family members who have experienced it.
- Lack of maintaining personal hygiene and the environment.
- Hot climate.
- Low body resistance.
This disease will cause nails texture to become wavy even it will not hurt the nails themselves. Only a few symptoms or nothing at all that arise due this infection. However, for some conditions, the nails will look white, even thicker and also experienced inflammation.
Types and Causes
There are 4 types of classical onychomycosis:
- Candida onychomycosis. Species called candida will attack our nails because we soak our hands in water.
- Proximal subungual onychomycosis. The condition where fungal penetration occurs in nail plate.
- White superficial onychomycosis. The main cause where a fungus activates the area of the superficial layer of our nail plate.
- Distal subungal onychomycosis. The condition where yeast, under portion of the nail plate will be attacked.
Onychomycosis can be treated either medically or naturally. Here are certain treatments that you can try.
- Surgical therapy. Doctor will usually perform a surgical procedure with a scalpel.
- Systemic medicine. You can try to consume drugs such as; terbinafine, itraconazole, and fluconazole
- Topical medicine. Try to consume drugs such as; cycloopyroxolamine, amorolfin, and urea bifonazole.
- Lavendel oil. Apply lavender oil on nails 2-3 times a day to heal wavy nails effectively.
- Soaking nails. Soak your nails to warm water mixed with a number of drops of disinfectant 5-7 minutes can help to heal wavy nails too.
2. Linchen Planus
Nails with wavy surface may also be a sign of linchen planus, a condition of skin where itchy rash will occur and spread quite quickly.
The trigger of this disease is till unclear but there are several risk factors that related to linchen planus which includes abnormal immune system that affects antibody material in our body. Other factors of linchen planus are:
- Hepatitis C infection.
- Number of metals, chemicals, and pigments.
- Flu vaccine.
- Hepatitis B vaccine.
- Ibuprofen that included in non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Malaria medicine.
- Number of drugs that used to treat arthritis, high blood pressure, etc.
- Danger of Complication
- Erosive linchen planus. This condition can arise boils that will the sufferer feel uncomfortable.
- Skin pigmentation. The condition where rash due to linchen planus is cleared, the skin color will be changed beforehand.
Treatments that are usually offered so that symptoms can be decreased quickly are:
- Retinoid. You will only need to apply retinoid to the skin around your nails or skin that affected by infection. One to note, this drug is dangerous for pregnant women.
- Corticosteroids. This drug can reduce the potention inflammation as a result from linchen planus.
- Acitretin. When the condition of the disease gets worse, you can use this drug alongwith doctor’s instruction.
- Radiation therapy. PUVA which is belong to light theraphy can be used to heal the disease. You mauy also read ways to prevent radiation therapy side effects
- Non-steroidal creams. To relieve the symptoms of itching that appears on the surface of the skin, you can try to consume this drug.
- Follow tips for healthy and balanced diet. You can try to eat healthy food which includes fruit and vegetable.
- Avoid smoking. Due to its danger for respiratory devices, try to get rid of ciggarette from now on. You may also read effects of smoking for skin.
- Avoid liquor. As same as smoking, try to stop consume alcohol from now on.
Wavy nails often associated with psoriasis as well. This kind of disease will occur in the long term. Itching and discomfort will arise due to this pain that mostly occurs on the scalp, elbow, lower back, and kness.
The causes of psoriasis known that there is an autoimmune disorder. This autoimmune disorder relates with immune system which is wrong to attack healthy skin cells.
People with psoriasis will experience a change in their skin cells. Furthermore, there are also a number of other risk factors of psoriaris.
- Consumtion of certain drugs.
- Injured skin.
- Infected throat.
- Heredity factor.
- Injection drugs. Those who have too high psoriasis conditions are suggested to do this method. Injection drugs will help to reduce reaction rate and heal skin inflammation.
- Consume drink drugs. Drugs that can be consumed by drinking such as acicretin and ciclosporin can help to overcome the issue in skin cells.
- Topical medicine. This kind of medicine or drug which come in the form of cream is able to slow down the production of skin cells that are too fast.
- Phototherapy. Phototherapy process needs dermatologist to do it. Those who belong to psoriasis sufferers can use this method.
These are symptoms of wavy nails that included with the types, causes, treatments, and also the prevention you have to condensed. We hope this article would help you. Stay healthy, Good People!
Read also: Signs and Symptoms of Mumps and Treatments.