20 Most Effective Ways to Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Eyes
If you are in your 20s or older and you start to notice that the skin under your eyes gets darker than other area, it means you have dark circles. The discoloration is mainly because of the thin skin present in the area, and the tissues concentrating there. While many people, especially women, find it aesthetically bothering and problematic, dark circle is not necessarily a serious health problem. However, the unsightly under eyes have the potential to affect your looks and confidence. This article will give you most effective ways to get rid of dark circles that you can easily do at home.
Before we get to the treatments, it is important to identify the causes to choose the most effective way to get rid of your dark circles.
Dark Circle Causes
- Lack of sleep
- Prolonged crying
- Sun exposure – which stimulates production of melanin, the pigment responsible for determining skin color
- Dry skin
- Mental and physical stress
- Too much caffein intake
- Long hours of working in front of computer
- Aging – which normally leads to thinning skin and loss of fat and collagen
- Hereditary factor
Now that you have identified the cause for your dark circles, it’s time to reduce and get rid of them with the most effective ways.
1. Tea bag
Make yourself a pair of eye packs from tea bags. Anti-oxidants and caffeine present in tea bag make it a simple, yet effective remedy for reducing puffiness as it is able to shrink blood vessels and fluid retention in the tissues around the dark circles.
Follow these simple steps once in a day for the best result:
- Soak two tea bags in hot water and rinse it in cool water.
- Leave it on your eyes for 20 minutes
- Wash the area with plain water
Indeed, this one of the most effective way to get rid of dark circles under eyes.
2. Cold metal spoons
For tired and puffy eyes, using cold metal spoons is an easy option. Metal spoon is a good tool to transmit temperature. To ease your swelling eyes, you will want to transmit cold to the swelling area as it will constrict the blood vessels and boost blood circulation.
Follow these simple steps regularly to heal your unsightly under eyes
- Put two metal spoons in a freezer for couple of minutes until you get the cool temperature you desire
- Stand in front of a mirror and put the spoons on your eyes in contouring position for few seconds
- Start making circular motion around the puffy area
3. Cold water
Using cold water is another option if you want to take advantage of cool temperature. Follow these simple steps 3 to 4 times everyday for the first few weeks:
- Soak a soft cloth in a cold water
- Squeeze the excess water
- Put it on your closed eyes for 5 to 7 minutes
4. Cold milk
This remedy works using the principle of cool temperature to relieve puffy eyes. But in this method, milk can be used as an advanced alternative to water as it contains anti-oxidants that promotes glowing skin and gives certain luminosity.
Follow these steps once in a day for the first few weeks of application:
- Put cotton balls in a bowl of cold milk
- Take out the cotton balls and carefully dab it on your eyes
- Leave it on for few minutes
- Carefully rinse off
5. Ice cubes
Still using the principle of cool temperature, you can also get rid of your tired, dark under eyes with eyes cubes.
Follow these steps 3 to 4 times in a day for the first few weeks:
- Take few ice cubes and put it in a clean, soft cloth
- Fold the cloth and use it as a compress around the problematic area
Cucumber is commonly used as a face mask because it has skin lightening agent and can work as an astringent. Astringent is a substance that causes contraction of body tissue that provoke distribution of the tissue so that it does not building up in one concentrated area.
You can simply cut thick a cucumber, put it in a freezer for a few minutes and leave it around your eyes for 5 to 7 minutes. Or, you can follow and repeat these simple steps once in a day for the faster and better result:
- Cut cucumber into chunks and put it in a blender
- Filter the juice until you’re only left with the juice (or you can directly dab it on your dark circles)
- Put cotton pads in the cucumber juice
- Dab it carefully around your eyes and leave it for about 15 minutes
- Rinse off with plain water
This is also the best Ways to Cure Chapped Lips in 5 Minutes with Home Remedies
Rose water has been widely trusted as an effective skin care element. No doubt, it also helps to relieve your dark circle in no time.
Follow these simple steps twice in a day for a few weeks:
- Soak cotton balls in a bowl of rose water
- Take them out and place them on your closed eyes
- Leave it for 10 minutes
Potato is a natural bleaching agent that acts to lighten up dark circles and relieve puffiness. You can simply cut potato in slices, put it in a freezer for a few minutes and leave it on your eyes for 5 to 7 minutes.
Apply these steps daily to remove dark circles once and for all:
- Take two chilled potatoes, cut them into chunks, blend them in a blender or food processor
- Filter it until you get only the potato juice
- Take cotton balls and soak them in the juice
- Take the cotton balls out and put it carefully to your dark circle
- Leave it for 15 minutes
- Rinse off with cool water
You may use this most effective way to get rid of dark circles under eyes.
9. Almond oil/essential oil
Almond oil is a natural anti-inflammatory and one of the most beneficial natural elements for delicate skin. As the skin under eyes tends to be thinner, it is easier to lose moisture there. Almond oil will lock the moisture and lighten the dark shadow if used regularly.
Follow these simple steps every night before going to bed:
- Wash clean your hands
- Put few drops of almond oil on your fingers
- Gently massage around your eyes
10. Mint leaves
Mint leaves are known for giving cooling effects. This natural ingredient can help you soothe and refresh your tired eyes as well as reducing your dark circles.
Follow these simple once in a day until you notice the improvement on your under eyes:
- Crush five to six leaves with clean tools
- Apply the crushed leaves around the problematic area
- Leave it for 10 minutes
- Wipe off gently with damp cloth, or rinse with cool water
Apple is also known for its ability to lighten skin tone. It contains vitamin B, vitamin C, potassium and tannic acid to nourish sensitive skin around the eyes.
Follow these simple steps regularly for once every two days until you see the improvement:
- Cut ripe apple into large slices
- Leave it for 30 minutes
- Wash with cold water
- Pat dry with soft cloth and apply eye cream
Just like potato, lemon is presented with bleaching properties. Lemon also contained with vitamin C that has been widely known to lighten dark skin, and hence, remove dark circles around the eyes.
Follow these simple steps regularly until you see the result:
- Dip cotton balls in fresh lemon juice
- Carefully dab it and put it on the dark area.
- Leave it for 15 minutes
- Rinse off with clean water
It is also a good decision if you want to use tomato. Tomato is an excellent skin lightening agent to get rid of unwanted discoloration under your eyes.
Follow these simple steps twice a day, every morning and night, until you notice the improvement on your dark circle:
- Squeeze or blend a tomato until you get the juice
- Take only one teaspoon of tomato juice and you can mix it with one teaspoon of lemon juice
- Dab the mixture gently on the dark circle
- Let sit for about 10 minutes
- Rinse off with cold water.
You may also read about ways on How to Get Rid of Acne with Banana Peel #Proven
Turmeric has rich anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. These elements act to clear up skin discoloration, including dark circles.
Apply these steps regularly until you get the desired result:
- Mix two teaspoons of turmeric powder and few drops of pineapple juice until it has the consistency of a paste
- Tap the paste on the dark area
- Leave it for about 10 minutes
- Wipe off with damp cloth
Also read How to Treat Cancer with Turmeric #Proven Home Remedy
15. Natural eye cream
Dry skin is one of the roots for dark circle. Hence, it is essential to keep the skin under your eyes moisture. But as the skin is thinner than other area, you cannot use the same moisturizing cream that you apply to the rest of your face. There are various eye cream in the market that you can choose. However, if you’re unsure which one to pick, you can make your own eye cream from natural ingredients.
What you need:
- 10 drops frankincense essential oil
- 1 ounce pure aloe vera gel
- 1 ounce unrefined shea butter
- 1 ounce unrefined coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon vitamin E
- Small bowl
- Cosmetics jar
- Mix together frankincense essential oil, aloe vera gel, shea butter, coconut oil and vitamin E in a small bowl until well blended.
- Put the mixture in a jar.
- Keep out from hot temperature.
- Use every morning and night around the dark circle.
This also the best and Natural Homemade Ways to Get Rid of Blackheads on Nose
Retinol helps to stimulate the production of collagen. Collagen is an important substance to skin because it promotes youthful skin and improves dark circle. You can easily find retinol at drugstores. You may also check out the Natural Ways to Heal Dry Cracked Feet with Home Remedies
If your dark circle is due to allergies, consider to take antihistamine for your medication. You are advised to see a doctor to get prescription for this drug.
18. Fix your sleep position
Along with applying the above remedies, you might want to pay attention to your sleeping position as well. Try to sleep on your back with extra pillow to prevent fluid from concentrating in the under eyes.
Also, get enough sleep a day to reduce to dark circle under eyes. It’s also good for your overall health such as mental and physical health.
You might also like How to Cure Children’s Nightmares
Yes, concealer. While you’re trying to get rid of the dark circles with the most effective ways above, you can use make up to temporarily cover the darkness away. After all, you would want to avoid looking pale and dead throughout the day. Use concealer with one or two shades darker than your skin tone to cover the under eye circles. And then apply concealer that matches your skin color on top of it.
How to Prevent Dark Circles
After you get your dark under eyes treated, you certainly want to keep them bright. These are the preventative tips that you can apply to keep all the darkness away.
- Get enough sleep
- Avoid excessive salt
- Always use sunscreen
- Remove make-up thoroughly
- Take vitamins
- Don’t drink too much alcohol
- Stop smoking
There are many factors that contribute to forming dark circles under eyes. The key factors are thin and dry skin, and loss of collagen. Thus, it is important to pay attention to keep the area moisture by using the appropriate natural remedies. You are also strongly advised to keep hydrated by drinking enough water and incorporating balanced nutrition intake.
As a result, dark circle under eyes can be the symptom of aging or early aging. You can use those traditional cure to maintain your health. It’s proven, effective, and easy to apply as daily treatments.
Also read about these: