15 Ways on How to Treat a Black Eye with Home Remedies
A black eye usually appears from injury to the face, the head or nose. The collecting of blood and other fluids around the eye often causing the swelling and discoloration. Black eye or a shiner is relatively not a significant injury. It would recover by itself within a few days. However, it can be a signal to severe damage depends on how rigorous the hit was affecting the vital nerves around the face.
Black Eye Causes
- Stress and sun exposure.
- Decreased fat under the eyes due to skin problems.
- Allergy or dermatitis accompanied by swelling, redness, and itching.
- Too much caffeine and tobacco consumption causes sleep deprivation.
- Fluid retention due to weather changes, hormone levels, and salty foods.
- Hereditary factors.
- Increased melanin or postinflammatory post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
- Blood vessel damage.
- Nasal congestion, anemia, until pregnancy.
Treat black eyes using home remedies is a smart way to choose since it is simple and the items available for you whenever you needed.
1. Ice Pack
Ice is the first remedy you can use to help to reduce the inflammation and pain.
- Prepare a clean, soft cloth to wrap the ice cubes.
- Apply the wrapped-cloth-ice cubes to the eye for about ten minutes.
- Repeat it several times a day, primarily at the first two days after the injury.
For the first 24 hours, use frozen vegetable (apple or orange) instead of directly using the ice cubes, because the affected area of the eyes is too delicate to be applied directly with the hard ice.
2. Warm Compress
Warm compresses will help the increase of blood flow to the tissues around the eye. After 48 hours of the injury, you should compress the wounded eye with warm water.
- Soak a sterile cloth in warm water, squeeze out the excess.
- Place the warm cloth on the affected eye. Wait until the warm cloth becomes cool.
- Repeat the process several times a day.
You can also massage the area tenderly, as long as it does not make you feel any pain. It will remove the dried blood under the skin and hasten the healing process. That’s how to treat a black eye with home remedies.
3. Witch Hazel Extract
Witch Hazel (Hamamelis virginiana) is a shrub derived from North America. Its essence can function as an astringent and good healing agent for many skin problems including black eyes. Use this home remedy as the following guidance:
- Soak a cotton pad in witch hazel and put it on the affected eye for a few minutes. It will have a soft soothing as well as invigorating effect.
- Process two times or three a day.
4. Natural Oil
Massaging the injured area with an excellent natural oil can help soothe swelling and inflammation. Olive oil is the best alternative as it contains many bruise healing properties.
You can also use coconut or castor oil. Massage with gentle movement, unless you will suffer more pain.
How to treat a black eye with home remedies? Calendula or Marigold is commonly used to diminish inflammation and improve wound healing. In associating with a black eye, it helps to reduce the bruising and swelling.
- Separate the petals of Calendula.
- Put it into a cup of hot water
- Store it in the refrigerator about half an hour
- Dip a clean washcloth in this refreshing solution and place it over the eye area for about 5 minutes
- Redo few times for a few days.
The inflammation and swelling of the affected eyes can be reduced by using Arnica essence. Arnica is a sunflower family which is trusted as the healing property.
Arnica is usually available in topical creams or lotions. Apply it to the affected area two to three times a day times a day.
7. Pineapple and Papaya
Most of the injuries that affecting the skin discoloration can diminish using pineapple and papaya. These two fruits can assist in healing a black eye due to antioxidant in it. Both fruits have enzymes that soften and rejuvenate the skin.
- Make a puree of these fruits, and apply topically around the blackened area of the eye.
- Blend them and serve as juices.
8. Vitamin C
Fruits and vegetables such as lemons, mangoes, guavas, broccoli, and beans contain high Vitamin C. You only have to consume it daily. Otherwise, take a vitamin C supplement which is available in many department stores near your house. It does not only help the healing process but also can fight the swelling and infection that may have damaged the skin surface.
9. Chilled Tea Bag
Treat black eyes using home remedies with tea leaves. It has tannin that helps to eliminate the black eyes.
Just refrigerate the used tea bag and put it on your blackened area for about fifteen minutes. Repeat it two to three times a day.
By using grated potatoes onto the surface of the black eyes will speed up the inflammation healing process. It is one of the ways to treat black eyes using home remedies.
- Wash a potato, and grate it.
- Apply topically to the affected area.
- Let it dries for about ten to fifteen minutes.
- Repeat twice a day to get a significant result.
- Grated or sliced potato has the similar effect so that you can choose one way or another.
Cucumber has astringent which can decrease the swelling. It also has a soothing effect and reduces the pain. Just lay down and put the sliced-cucumber on your closed eyes.
12. Lip Balm
Lip Balm commonly contains vitamin C and K which have many benefits to fade away the discoloration. Apply it to your blackened area. Massage gently and the usage of warm cloth combined with it will also help decrease the inflammation.
13. Put the Frozen Spoon
Instead of using ice cubes, you can use a frozen spoon as an alternative to compressing the black eye. You either put the spoon in the refrigerator or soak it into a bowl of ice cubes before place it to the shiner.
Just soak one to two spoons of oatmeal in a bowl of warm water. Wait until it softens and ready to apply on the affected area. It will slowly get rid of the pain and diminish the swelling within two days.
15. Aloe vera
Aloe Vera, known globally as a medicinal property for the skin care. Just take the gel from the fresh plant, smashed until it becomes a thick mixture and apply gently to the shiner.
You may also love to know about:
- Fastest Ways to Heal Dry Cracked Hands with Home Remedies
- 7 Ways on How to Get Rid of Acne with Banana Peel
- How to Treat Bulimia Side Effects
How to Prevent Black Eye
- Prevent caffeine – caffeine turns out to cause water absorption into the body that can lead to dehydration that can lead to a black eye causes.
- Reduce soda consumption – Soda contains artificial sweeteners and such artificial sweeteners have the possibility of causing dark circles to the eyes.
- Get at least 8 glasses of water per day
- Get enough sleep is a must. Get your body and mind relax.
Meanwhile. there are many ways on how to treat a black eye with home remedies that you can try. Indeed, always stay healthy by using some natural home remedies.