20 Easy Ways to Get Rid of a Cold Sore in 24 Hours
It was so awful to find blisters on your lips when you just woke up in the morning, right? Those blisters are caused by Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) and known globally as a cold sore. It also refers to fever blister, an infection that commonly appears on the body; mostly on the mouth, lips, cheeks, fingers, and nose.
You may have experienced this painful infection which is embarrassing and pushed you to throw away as soon as possible. Here you would find some easy ways to get rid of a cold sore in 24 hours.
The Causes of Cold Sore
As it mentioned earlier, a cold sore comes from the herpes simplex virus. There is two common type of the infection; the HSV-1 and HSV-2. The HSV-1 spreading out through any utensils such as;
- Face towels
Meanwhile, the HSV-2 usually contaminate the genital area and spread out through sexual activity or a mother who gave birth vaginally while she has genital herpes. Cold sore is contagious and can spread to other surfaces of the body. Nevertheless, it can be cured by using easy-to-find home remedies. At first, you should know the symptoms before jump up to the easy ways to get rid of a cold sore.
Symptoms of Cold Sore
- Itching and Burning — This is the first sign of contamination.
- Blisters — It starts to appear on your lips and another part of the body within one to two days.
- Discharge and scabbing — the blisters will start to discharge fluids, and it is accompanied by sore and ended with crust afterward. Cold sore may take two-four weeks to heal completely.
- Sore throat
- Muscle aches—during the outbreak you may experience aforementioned (4-6)
Soon after you feel these symptoms, it is recommended to take the prevention steps to avoid them immediately. The easy ways to get rid of a cold sore is by using the extraordinary remedies at home, and you can get all information about it here. The magic bullets are:
How to Get Rid of a Cold Sore in 24 Hours
This is the effective ways to get rid of a cold sore in 24 hours:
Yes, you have it in your refrigerator. Ice is the first aid for problems like swelling and irritation, including cold sore. Just take an ice cube and rub it to the affected area or you can use some frozen fruits as an alternative. Read also How to Treat a Black Eye with Home Remedies
2. Coconut oil
It has been used since decades to moisturize the dry skin and accelerate the healing process. It also works to prevent the scabbing and reduce the pain.
- You will need some drops of this great medication.
- A cotton swab/cotton bud.
- Apply directly to your lips or any affected area and repeat every hour.
- Its antimicrobial agent helps to fight the bacteria present in the blisters.
What is in the world to assist you away from any irritant agent, yet it has a delicious taste and easy to find? The answer would be honey. You know that it helps to soothe the inflammation and irritation of skin you have encountered due to a cold sore.
- Just drop honey bee on a cotton swab.
- Leave it until dries.
- Repeat it every hour.
- Honey is the quickest medication to help you get rid of the blisters.
The use of honey can also help in treating the dry, cracked feet. Find out at Natural Ways to Heal Dry Cracked Feet
All kitchen will not be called as a kitchen if it does not include salt in its container. It is not only because salt is a necessary item to make your cuisine tasteful but also its benefits for all health problems as is the blisters caused by a cold sore.
- Just wash your hands and take a pinch of salt.
- Rub it to your lips or any affected area.
- Hold for a minute.
- It may hurt so much, but salt helps reduce the fluid oozes from the blisters.
Cleopatra took a bath with milk, and the universe acknowledged her as one of the beautiful women with the bright skin until today. Admittedly, your infected lips need milk to reduce the itchiness and to soften the irritated skin affected by a cold sore.
- Drop one tsp of warm milk to a cotton ball.
- Apply it to the area where the cold sore present.
- Hold for about two minutes.
- Every two hours, redo the process.
6. Cornstarch powder
Cornstarch is useful in reducing inflammation and the itchiness. All you need is:
- Make a paste from a tsp of cornstarch powder and a spoon of water.
- Apply the paste to the lips or any infected area.
- Leave it for minutes.
- Clean with water.
7. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil has antiviral properties which can fight the virus and eliminate the scab even faster.
How to Use it?
- Apply this essential directly to the infected skin by using a cotton swab or your clean finger.
- Repeat a day thrice. It is better to tap it on the lips before you go to bed.
Scientifically, this is one of best effective ways to get rid of a cold sore in 24 hours.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
Its antimicrobial agent helps the infected area to relieve very soon and fight the virus.
- Just drop ACV onto the cotton balls.
- Apply it to a cold sore.
- Repeat it a couple of times a day.
Meanwhile, you may also want to know about Ways to Get Rid of Fever Blisters on Your Lips
It may smell bad for some of you, but this is a panacea to cure the infection due to its antiseptic properties.
Only cut half a small garlic and apply directly to the blister two to three times a day. If you prefer, ingest them as a morning intake.
10. Hydrogen Peroxide
It is powerful to stop the bleeding and reduce the swelling. You just only have to dab some drops of Hydrogen Peroxide on a cotton swab and apply them twice a day.
11. Witch hazel oil
Acts as astringent, witch hazel oil will erase the pain and promote the healing process.
Use a cotton swab to apply the oil onto your lips or the skin with a cold sore. Repeat the process twice a day.
12. Vanilla Extract
Vanilla has the power to stop the growth of virus causing a cold sore so it will accelerate the healing process. You have to:
- Apply the extract using a sterile cotton to the cold sore.
- Do it three times a day.
Lactobacillus acidophilus is a good bacteria which can control the growth of bacteria.
By spreading this medication gently on the affected area using your clean finger or a cotton swab, you’ll get the faster healing process, and it soothes the burn sensation.
14. Aloe vera
Again, aloe has many excellent properties to heal the infection problems, including the cold sore.
It also gives you cold sensation which helps in reducing the burning feeling.
- Extract out the gel of aloe.
- Smash it and apply to the affected area.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Redo three times a day.
It has an anti-inflammatory agent that is soothing the burns sensation and accelerates the blisters to crust over.
- Apply the juice of tomato to the affected skin.
- Leave it until dry.
- Rinse with water.
16. Licorice powder
You want to know about the effective ways to get rid of a cold sore in 24 hours? Glycyrrhizin in licorice helps the cold sore to heal faster.
- Make a paste from the combination of licorice powder and honey with the proper thickness.
- Apply the paste to the blisters.
- Leave it for minutes until dry.
- Clean up with water.
17. Eucalyptus oil
Drop the oil to the cotton swab and rub it to the surface of the affected area. Redo every hour.
It boosts the healing process and relieves the itchiness.
18. Echinacea tea
- Add a cup of boiling water to an echinacea tea bag.
- Wait until it is warm enough to drink.
- Drink it twice a day.
It increases the immune system of the body which is vital to drive off the virus.
19. Peppermint oil
Apply this medication directly to affected area using a cotton swab.
Peppermint oil has an antiseptic agent that can kill the virus and stop it from developing.
20. Petroleum Jelly
Just apply the jelly to the cold sore directly. Leave it within minutes before clean with water. It can throw away the bacteria and remove the tight sensation.
You may also want to know about How to Treat Cancer with Aloe Vera #1 Home Remedy
Prevention Steps of a Cold Sore
- Change the toothbrush.
- Avoid having kissing or sexual contact when you have blisters, or with someone who has one.
- Use sunscreen.
- Do hand wash after the contact with the cold sore.
- Vitamin C Intake
Meanwhile, a cold sore can make you feel uncomfortable. So, try the home remedies above to help you fast. If it’s not working well, please call your doctor immediately. However, we can always take care of our health by natural treatments daily. Stay healthy, well people!