ORS – Dosage, Making, Benefits, and Side Effects
ORS is a solution containing electrolyte salts which function as a counterweight to electrolyte levels in the body. The composition of this solution consists of several electrolyte salt mixtures such as NaCl (Sodium Chloride), KCl (Potassium Chloride), Sodium Bicarbonate, Glucose Anhydrous, Triduum Citrate Hydrate.
The imbalance of electrolyte levels in the body is caused by excessive sweating or fluid coming out of the body, vomiting or suffering from diarrhea symptoms.
In general, this solution can overcome the threat of dehydration when attacked by diarrhea because it contains a mixture of glucose or sugar with salt that can be absorbed by the intestines of diarrhea patients.
- Causes of Nausea During Fasting Ramadan and How to Overcome It
- The Most Effective Medical Treatment for Tourette Syndrome
- 3 Tips on How to Process Star Fruit Juice for High Blood Pressure – Healthy and Delicious
- 12 Remedies for Thyroid Gland – Medical and Natural Treatments
- Parasites Causing Mouth Smell that Must Be Shunned
When does the body need ORS?
ORS is a liquid consisting of electrolyte salts and glucose which can anticipate dehydration when electrolyte fluid levels in the body are significantly reduced. That causes an imbalance of electrolyte fluid levels in the body such as:
- Excessive Sweating
The body will sweat a lot after doing strenuous exercise or being in hot weather, so it is necessary to replace lost fluids with additional intake so as not to cause dehydration or lack of fluids in the body.
In general, excessive sweating can be replaced by consuming enough mineral water but to restore water and mineral levels to normal sizes can also add it to drinks containing high electrolytes.
The liquid that comes out through the vomit of dirt can cause dehydration because of the lack of fluid contained in the body. In general, women who are pregnant in the first trimester will experience nausea and vomiting for a long time.
In order to avoid the danger of dehydration, you should immediately consume a drink containing electrolytes, so that the balance of electrolyte in the body can be maintained.
But it should also be noted about the health of the fetus when using certain drugs. You should consult with the doctor in advance to avoid things that are not desirable.
- Diarrheal Diseases
Diarrhea is a health disorder caused by excessive consumption of spicy foods, viruses, staphylococcus germs found in rotten foods, milk allergies, and even allergies to certain foods.
Diarrhea that lasts long can cause dehydration. Symptoms of diarrhea can affect infants, toddlers, adults, even the elderly if the body’s immune system weakens.
To avoid contracting the cause of diarrhea, it is good to know things that can cause diarrhea.
- Consume flies because of diarrhea-causing bacteria found in flies
- Eat using dirty hands
- Use of dirty bathrooms or toilets
- Allergy to milk consumption
- Drink raw water or raw vegetables containing diarrhea-causing bacteria
Some substances contained in 200 cc ORS liquid have a function as a substitute for lost body fluids so that the electrolyte fluid balance can be maintained. The threat of dehydration occurs when you experience diarrhea or excessive vomiting so that the liquid that comes out must be replaced by new fluids through these ORS.
Please note that the ORS liquid consumed by diarrhea patients does not function to stop the symptoms of diarrhea as a whole, but rather serves as a substitute for body fluids that have come out through the digestive system.
Here are the contents:
- Glucose Anhydrous = 4.0 gram
- 70 grams of sodium chloride
- Sodium Citrate Dehydrate 0.58 grams
- Potassium Chloride 0.30 grams
Although not including hard drugs but ORS itself should not be consumed with excessive doses because basically the drug has a dose and rules of use that must be known in order to reduce the negative effects of drug use.
Before drinking ORS, you should consult your doctor first about the symptoms and appropriate treatment because each body has its own reaction to certain drugs or liquids that enter the body.
The following dosage is used for ORS based on the age taken in the first three hours:
- Age under 1 year = 300 ml or 1.5 cups
- Ages 1 – 5 years = 600 ml or 3 cups
- Ages 6 – 12 years = 1.21 or 6 glasses
- Age above 12 years – Adults = 2.41 or 12 glasses
The following is the use of ORS based on age taken after bowel movements or vomiting:
- Age under 1 year = 100 ml or 0.5 cups (half a glass)
- Age 1 – 5 years = 200 ml or 1 glass
- Ages 5 – 12 years = 300 ml or 1.5 cups
- Ages above 12 years – Adults = 400 ml or 2 cups
How to Use
To overcome the symptoms of diarrhea or excessive vomiting where the body will lose a lot of fluid then you need to replace the lost fluid using ORS to avoid the danger of dehydration.
How to drink ORS fluids is also worth noting in order to get the maximum benefit and avoid unwanted things. Some people think of how to drink ORS at a rate of 200 cc or one glass gulped at once, like drinking mineral water in general but this method is wrong.
ORS fluids taken at once actually cause the feeling of wanting to defecate and vomit. Here is how to use it:
- Mix one sachet of ORS into a 200 cc or one glass medium
- Stir thoroughly and then gently gulp little by little
- Stop 3 minutes after drinking ORS 2 – 3 times
The pause that is done when drinking ORS aims so that the intestine can absorb the content contained in the ORS liquid.
The use of ORS can be repeated during diarrhea or vomiting has not stopped because as long as the patient has diarrhea or vomiting, the fluid in the body will continue to come out. The body will need electrolyte fluid intake in the body to maintain balance and avoid dehydration.
During this time we consider the symptoms of dehydration can be prevented only by increasing mineral intake from water alone.
However, please note that in water does not contain electrolyte salts that can maintain the balance of electrolyte levels in the human body. Electrolytes themselves are minerals or fluids that affect nerve impulses through the conductive power of electricity in the body.
Here are some of the benefits of ORS for the body:
- Reduce the symptoms of diarrhea
- Replace fluid lost with feces or excessive vomiting
- Maintain a balance of electrolyte levels in the body
- Prevent and anticipate the induction of osmosis diarrhea because it contains hypo-osmole
- Anticipate acidosis because it contains alkaline or alkalinizing agents
- Increase water and electrolyte absorption
The balance of the erectility levels in blood, sweat, and urine can affect the performance of other vital organs in the body; therefore additional intake is needed to restore the balance of electrolyte levels in the body by drinking ORS.
How to use ORS which is not in accordance with the rules and with excessive doses will pose a risk to the health of the body. The balance of electrolyte fluid that should be maintained can actually trigger health problems for the performance of other organs in the body. Reactions arising from these errors are:
- Excessive sodium levels in the body will interfere with electrolyte balance
- Dehydration Hypernatremia or increased plasma osmolality where the body experiences excess sodium levels
- Symptoms of nausea, stomach vomiting, and cramps due to ingestion of hypertonic solutions or large amounts of sodium chloride
- The loss of bicarbonate with the effects of acidification is due to the use of excessive chloride salts
- Hyperkalemia due to drinking ORS fluids that are too thick
- Excessive use of ORS can cause eyelid edema
Can you make ORS yourself?
In general, ORS are in the form of sachet packs which are directly brewed using drinking water at a dose of 200 cc or in one medium-sized glass. Making the ORS liquid is also quite easy by combining glucose (sugar) with salt.
Salt contains sodium where lost electrolytes can be replaced immediately while there are important carbohydrates in sugar or glucose which serve as a source of energy and a substitute for energy lost due to lack of fluids. Here is how to make it:
- Wash hands thoroughly before touching the equipment and ingredients for making ORS
- Provide kitchen salt with a dose of a quarter teaspoon
- Provide sugar (glucose) at a rate of one teaspoon
- Provide drinking water that has been cooked at a dose of 200 cc or one glass medium
- Mix salt and sugar into drinking water then mix well until dissolved
- Homemade ORS can be used
Tips When Developing Diarrhea
When the body experiences diarrhea, there are several treatment tips that can help the process of recovering the body’s metabolism as follows:
- Sufficient Mineral Intake
Take water regularly when diarrhea can replace the fluid that comes out with feces when you defecate. Drinking homemade ORS consisting of a solution of sugar (glucose) and salt can also help replace the lost electrolyte fluid.
- Reduce Consumption of High Fiber Foods
Jelly, vegetables, and fruits are fiber-rich foods that will prolong diarrhea itself. Choose low-fiber foods but consume foods that contain protein and sodium that function as building agents and are able to hold the stool out excessively.
- Enough rest
To restore stamina that is reduced due to symptoms of diarrhea, adequate rest is needed. Symptoms of weakness, twisting and even nausea can subside slowly when you have enough rest.
- Drink ORS or Diarrhea Medication
Ongoing diarrhea can cause several symptoms that interfere with daily activities. Patients should check with the doctor concerned to get a medication that is safe and able to deal with diarrhea symptoms. While to anticipate the occurrence of dehydration can use ORS fluids with the dosage and rules of use that exist.
The above has explained the benefits of ORS and its contents, how to use and even its side effects. No need to worry about side effects because this is the body’s reaction if the method of use and the dose taken do not match the dosage.
For this reason, it is very important to pay attention before using ORS drugs to prevent dehydration in order to fulfill the existing usage rules. In general, dehydration is caused by a lack of fluid or an imbalance of electrolyte fluid in the body due to excessive discharge from the body.
As we know the danger of dehydration is not a mild health disorder because it can lead to sudden death. However, the way to prevent it is quite easy, with enough mineral intakes after doing strenuous activities and being in hot weather, even when attacked by diarrhea so the electrolyte balance returns to normal.