12 Natural Ways to Get Rid of Gum Infection #Proven
There are numerous types of infections that can occur in the mouth and one of it is gum infcetion. Gum infections are primarily caused by oral bacteria that form plaque and tartar, which destroy gum tissue. However, there are other factors that increase your risk for developing such infections such as:
- Poor Oral Hygiene: In case brushing and flossing are not done regularly, gum disease can find a perfect place to develop.
- Wrong Brushing Techniques: Overly vigorous brushing of teeth might actually cause damage to the gums, since they are very soft and sensitive.
- Chancre Sores or Mouth Ulcers: Mouth ulcers can develop anywhere inside the mouth. Many times, they appear on the gums as well. They appear with red edges and a whitish center. Sores could be either viral or bacterial in origin.
- Smoking and Tobacco: Using cigarette and tobacco products is extremely bad for your gums.
How to Treat Gum Infection
After knowing the causes of gum infections, it is time to know how to treat it in case it happens. Given below are some natural ways to get rid of gum infection with home remedies.
- Drink Green Tea
Green tea has been found to have antioxidants that speeds up healing and reduces inflammation in the body. Studies have shown that people who drink green tea regularly have better overall gum health than those who don’t, making it a great alternative to other hot drinks throughout the day. You may also read about How to Relieve the Swollen Gums at Home
- Saline Water Treatment
Saline water will remove bacteria and also reduce inflammation.
- Use half a teaspoon of salt to one cup of warm water
- Stir until dissolved
- Then rinse in the same way you would with a conventional mouthwash. This is the best natural ways to get rid of gum infection.
- Bicarbonate Of Soda Treatment
Many toothpastes now contain bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) because it neutralizes the acid in the mouth that can be a factor of gum disease. You can make your own natural toothpaste by mixing bicarb with water to form a paste, and brush as normal. You may also read about Natural Ways to Get Rid of Dark Spots on Lips
- Coconut Oil Treatment
Oil pulling helps strengthen the teeth and gums, reduces plaque, and relieves bad breath. It is also considered good for overall health as it removes toxins.
- Swish one tablespoon of coconut oil around in your mouth and through your teeth.
- Do this for about 15 minutes or until it becomes thinner and turns milky.
- Spit it out and rinse your mouth with water.
- Repeat the process daily for about a month.
You may also read about Ways to Get Rid of Fever Blisters on Your Lips
- Turmeric Treatment
Turmeric contains an active component known as curcumin. Curcumin is a well known anti-inflammatory agent and has powerful antioxidant effect. To use turmeric for gingivitis, make an herbal tooth powder.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Store it in an air-tight container.
- When you are ready to use it, rub a moderate amount on your gum and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water thereafter.
You may also read about How to Treat Cancer with Turmeric
- Guava Leaves Treatment
Guava leaves are an excellent source of guaijaverin, an anti plaque agent.
- Bring a cup of water to boil. Add 5 guava leaves into the water.
- Turn heat to low and let simmer until half the water evaporates.
- Strain and let cool.
- Rinse your mouth with the strained water 2 -3 times daily.
- Alternatively, you can chew clean guava leaves for a few minutes. Spit it out and rinse mouth with warm water. OR crush guava leaves and rub the resulting paste on the inflamed gum.
You may also read about How to Cure Chapped Lips in 5 Minutes
- Aloe Vera Treatment
Due to its anti-inflammatory and healing properties, aloe vera has been found to be beneficial in dealing with gum disease. Being an antimicrobial, it also kills the bacteria that cause gum disease. Plus, it fights bad breath and heals mouth ulcers.
- Massage your gums with fresh aloe vera gel
- leave it on for at least half an hour and then rinse it off.
- Repeat several times a day.
Alternatively, swish some aloe vera juice around in your mouth a few times, and then spit it out. You can also drink about two teaspoons of aloe vera juice on a regular basis.
You may also read about How to Treat Cancer with Aloe Vera
- Cranberry Juice Treatment
Cranberry juice is good for fighting gum disease and infection due to its high vitamin C content. A study published in the Journal of Periodontology has associated lower intake of vitamin C with higher rates of periodontal disease. Simply drink about four ounces, or two tablespoons, of cranberry juice daily to help prevent bacteria from sticking to your teeth.
- Myrrh Treatment
Myrrh is good for treating gum disease and maintaining proper oral hygiene because it has antiseptic, antibacterial and astringent properties. It is often recommended by herbalists as a remedy for sore gums.
- Put 10 drops of myrrh tincture in a cup of warm water and use it as a mouth rinse.
- You can also add a few drops of the tincture to a salt water rinse. Repeat once or twice a day for several days.
Alternatively, mix equal amounts of myrrh and Echinacea tinctures. Use this as a mouth rinse. Repeat daily for a few days until you get relief.
- Tea Tree Oil Treatment
The anti-inflammatory properties of tea tree oil help soothe irritated and inflamed gums. Application of a tea tree oil gel helped reduce gum bleeding and infection. Simply put a few drops of tea tree oil on your toothpaste or buy toothpaste with tea tree oil in it for brushing your teeth two times a day. Use it for several weeks.
- Sage and Peppermint Treatment
Sage and Peppermint are both anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. They help in reducing gum swelling and killing the bacteria responsible for gum infection
- Bring a cup of water to boil, add sage herb into it.
- Turn heat to low and allow it to simmer for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Strain and let it cool down. Use the resulting water to rinse your mouth..
- Lemon Juice Treatment
Lemon contains high vitamin C and anti-inflammatory properties. You can simply mix the juice of lemon with in a glass of warm water and rinse your mouth with it. Best done first thing in the morning, before brushing teeth. Meanwhile, you can try those natural ways to get rid of gum infection.
How To Prevent Gum Infection
Preventing gum infections can be as simple as implementing a good oral hygiene plan. Doing this will prevent the buildup of bacteria that can lead to infections of the mouth; a good oral hygiene program consists of:
- Brushing at least twice a day
- Using an antibacterial mouth rinse to reach all the areas of the mouth your brush cannot reach
- Flossing at least once daily
If you have a gum infection, the most important thing to do is to improve your oral hygiene program. If you’ve already done so and are still experiencing problems, then you may need to look at the products you’re currently using. Some of them likely contain ingredients that increase bacteria growth.
You may also read: