15 Fastest Ways to Get Rid of Onion Smell on Hands
For those who love cooking at home or someone who wants to make a party and want to try the best recipe from the magazine by serving the most delicious “oglio olio spaghetti,” it is not strange to experience the pungent odor of onion traps on hands. Onion and garlic contain Sulfur responsible for this long-last smell. When you bite, crush, or cut the onion or garlic, the compounds spread to the air—it sometimes makes you “crying” as well. Fortunately, you do not have to worry about it.
Here are 15 best ways to eliminate the sharp odor of onion on your hands.
- Salt and Soap
The mixture of salt and soap— you can use any soap in your preference—helps you to get rid of the oniony hands after chopping or cook the dish. You will need:
- Two teaspoons of salt.
- Any soap or hand soap.
- In a bowl, make a paste of these two ingredients.
- Take the paste and scrub your hands including the palms, the gap between fingers as well as the finger itself, the wrist, and the area under your nails.
- After finish, the scrubbing, rinse your hands with cold water to clean the scrub and the smell of onion.
Voila! The smell will be gone right away. The best ways to get rid of onion smell on hands!
- Stainless Steel
To reduce the odor of onion and garlic, you can use any stainless steel-made utensil such as spoon, fork, or another object in your kitchen. It is because stainless steel has a neutralizer agent. So, try this method will cost you nothing.
Ways to get rid of onion smell on hands, what you need is:
- A spoon or any metal object you like.
- Rub the object on your hands under the running water for about one minute long.
- Do it the way you use the soap.
- Dry your hands with a clean cloth.
You might want to read Natural Ways to Get Rid of Dry Hands
- Toothpaste and salt
Toothpaste and salt are best trick to keep away the onion smells over your hands.
- You only need a teaspoon of toothpaste
- One tablespoon of salt.
- Mix the salt and toothpaste.
- Rub the hands with the paste.
- Wash it after gently massage all around the hands.
- Done. You’ll get a minty hand and ready to go to the party.
Avoid the method if you have sensitive skin because the burn sensation might occur.
- Coffee Powder
Not only for the beverage purpose but coffee also one of the eliminators of bad smells. Caffeine in coffee has a substance called nitrogen which can absorb the sulfur that accompanying garlic and onion.
- Take two teaspoons of coffee powder.
- Mix with two tablespoons of water or lemon juice.
- Smear the hands with the mixture for about a minute.
- Rinse and dry your hands.
- This way will also soften your hand skin.
- Baking Soda and Salt
When you have done with your cooking, just prepare a bowl contains water and baking soda.
- Then, soak your hand in the bowl for one-two minutes long.
- Dry your hand after it.
- The power of baking soda in getting rid of bad smells is popular in life hacking community. It neutralizes the odor in your hands and also works for the cupboard smells or shoes.
You can find other beneficial tricks and tips on How to Heal Your Skin After Sunburn
Another way to eliminate the garlicky odor on your hands is by using an acidic solution like vinegar. The strong smell of vinegar fights for removing a bad odor as effective as baking soda. What you have to prepare is;
- A sufficient amount of vinegar in a bowl. You can add some drops of water if the smell too pungent for you.
- Soak your hand about one minute in the bowl.
- Wash and dry your hands with a clean cloth.
- Mint Leaves
Mint leaves are powerful to get rid of onion smell in your hands as it has a pungent aroma. Just rub your hands with the leaves until it crushed then wash your hand over the running water. The smells of onion will off at once.
Uncover a useful article: Best Way to Get Rid of Cellulite on Calves
Oat is one of the odor eaters. It absorbs the smell of almost any bad smell from the refrigerator to your garlicky hands.
- Soak a teaspoon of oatmeal.
- Use the paste to rub your hands.
- Leave it two minutes.
- Rinse and dry your hands.
- Aloe Vera
Aloe is very valuable and known as the mouthwash for centuries. Its antiseptic properties can kill the bacteria. In associating with the putrid smell of onion in your hands, you can:
- Pluck one aloe leaf.
- Extract the gooey gel and smash it.
- Rub it to your hands.
- The aroma might be odd, but it works to erase the onion smell.
See the article on How to Prevent Thyroid Gland Disorder
- Tomato Juice
Tomato has the acidic liquid which is awful to throw away bad smells from the onion. Barely smash a reddish potato and use its juice to wash your hands after cooking.
- Lemon Juice
Much like tomato, lemon juice also useful to eliminate the oniony odor.
- If you have a whole lemon, just pick a slice of it and rub your hands with it.
- Do not forget to ensure you have no cut-wound otherwise it would result in so much pain for you.
- You can also squeeze the lemon and use its liquid to wash, anything you like.
If you do not have oatmeal at home, celery is the best alternative. It has a strong aroma that effective to get rid of the bad smell of onion left in your hands.
- Crush the stem and the leaves.
- Rub it to your hands thoroughly.
- End with the clean water rinse.
- Peanut Butter
Really? Does it work? Yes, it does! Peanut butter has a strong smell which can cover the onion odor efficiently. You just need to rub your hands with the paste for about three minutes then wash it the remaining with water. It would feel a bit greasy, but it moisturizes your hand skin as well.
You would also read many useful Tips for Skin Care During Pregnancy
- Bay Leaf
Bay leaf is a friend of many cooks in the world. It should be a dear for all mothers that prepare the meals for her family. Bay leaf also the odor remover as its fragrance is so sharp.
Just squeeze fresh bay leaves to reduce the onion smells, and rinse your hands right after.
Tartaric acid in tamarind known for letting the bad smells go. You can use the raw tamarind or the preserved one. Smash tamarind pod and use its flesh the way you use other items mentioned before. Clean your hand when the odor is gone.
Meanwhile, you can try those ways to get rid of onion smell on hands fast!
How to Prevent the Onion Smells Stay Longer on Your Hands
- Use vinegar to rub your hands and cutting board before chopping the onion.
- Glove use is recommended for you but be careful because it is slippery.
- The food processor is an alternative to avoid your hands contaminated by the pungent odor of onion.
Now, you do not have to worry about the onion smells because you already keep the tips on your pocket. Stay longer in the kitchen and try a new recipe would become easier and fun when you have no worries on odor problem after cooking.
Read also: Ways to Get Rid of Foot Odor in Shoes