30 Easy Home Remedies for Children Running Nose
Have you ever got sniffles even when the weather is not so cold? If you got a sign like that, seems like you got infected by running nose. Running nose is diseases that kind of nasal discharge of mucus.
Most of doctor called it as “rhinorrhea”. A runny nose is the result of nasal mucus which is excess more than normal. Then, it leads to watery nasal secretions that discharge from the nostrils into the throat. People of all ages will experience a runny nose, especially children.
Children are susceptible to illnesses. Giving them medicines or antibiotics might not be a good idea as they are still very young. You might want to give these 30 Home Remedies for Children Running Nose a try. Also, read the causes and effects so you know your child’s condition better.
Causes of Running Nose
Effects from Running Nose
- Sore throat
- Loss of appetite
Treating Runny Nose
Here are some home remedies that you can do:
Let your child inhale some steam to have some relief from the runny nose. The steam can clear out most of the mucus. Also read the natural ways to get rid of a cough of a toddler.
- Boil some water until it forms steam.
- Use a towel to cover your child’s head over the water.
- Tell your child to inhale the steam slowly.
2. Drink Honey
Drinking honey is another good way to get rid of running nose. It has an antibacterial property which can increase recovery.
- Have a glass of warm water.
- Take 2 teaspoons of honey.
- Mix them together.
- Make your child drink twice a day.
3. Bathe in Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil can get rid of the running nose situation. It’s a known decongestant. The mucus buildup in the nose will greatly reduce.
- Fill tub with warm water.
- Drop 5 eucalyptus oil and bathe.
- Repeat until nose feels better.
4. Apply Eucalyptus Oil on Chest
Besides using the eucalyptus oil for bath, you can also instantly apply it to your child.
- Have half a cup of warm virgin olive oil.
- Drop in 10 eucalyptus oil.
- Massage on the chest before sleep.
5. Drink Lemon
Drinking lemon is one of the most favourite home remedies. It provides a huge amount of vitamin C for your child and gets rid of toxins.
- Have a fresh lemon.
- Extract its juice.
- Mix with a cup of warm water.
- Add honey to make it sweet.
6. Eat Ginger
This does not mean eating raw ginger. Children may not like the taste of that. So, what you should do is cut up some gingers into tiny pieces. Cook them with a bowl of chicken soup. The ginger will warm up your child’s body. So all the mucus in the nose can begin to disappear. You may want to read about How to Cure an Ulcer in Your Stomach Naturally
7. Drink Ginger
Drinking ginger can also help. But don’t put too many as that can be too ‘hot’ for your child’s liking.
- Boil some water.
- Add some cut up ginger accordingly.
- Pour into glass and add a bit of sugar.
8. Use Humidifier
Placing a humidifier in your home or your child’s room is a great idea. The humidifier adds more moisture in the air. The moisture will help the nose to release all the mucus. Your child can blow them away easily. A clean nasal passage ensures a good sleep too. Read on how to get sleep schedule back on track.
9. Saline Water
In case that there is too much mucus and your child cannot blow them all out, rinse the nose with saline water. You can make your own saline water from home.
- Mix a quarter of teaspoon of salt to warm water.
- Tilt your child’s head back gently.
- Keep one nostril open while blocking the other one with your finger.
- Slowly drop the water into the open nostril.
- Use a syringe to suck out all the mucus. You nay want to read about How to Treat Nose after Choke
- Repeat with the other nostril as necessary.
10. Chew Basil Leaves
Basil leaves do have antibacterial property. They can immensely help in relieving a runny nose. What your child has to do is to chew some basil leaves. Spit out the basil leaves once they can’t be chewed anymore. Repeat this in the morning and at night.
11. Drink Basil Juice
An alternative to chewing basil leaves is drinking their juice. Mix with other ingredients to make the drink more powerful.
- Get a tablespoon of juice from the leaves.
- Pour into a glass of warm lemon juice with some ginger and honey.
- Drink up to 3 times a day.
12. Drink Chamomile
Chamomile is a herb that can also heal the nose. It’s also effective in treating sneeze in case your child experiences it too.
- Boil around 2 cups of water.
- Pour a tablespoon of dry chamomile flowers.
- Wait for 5 minutes. You may want to read about How to Get Sleep During Alcohol Withdrawal.
- Add honey and give to your child.
13. Take Garlic
Although children may not like the taste of garlic, it can actually reduce the mucus in the nose.
- Boil some water and add minced garlic according to your needs.
- Add a little bit of salt and onion juice.
- Give to your child to drink twice a day.
14. Increase Sleeping Hour
Sleeping is so necessary for your child especially when they’re sick. Hours of resting can help in restoring their immune system. Thus, their body can fight back the runny nose that bothers them so much. Ensure your child is getting up to 12 hours of sleep every day. It’s handy to know how to cure children’s nightmares as well.
15. Drink Water
A child’s body is made up of around 65% of water. By keeping up with a huge amount of water intake, your child’s body will always stay hydrated. The mucus can easily be released from the nasal passage. Moreover, your child will also feel better once their body is hydrated.
Other Remedies (16-30)
Below are more ways to treat your child.
- Chicken Soup: Increase protein for healthier body.
- Mustard Oil: Massage around the chest.
- Warm Clothing: Keeps the body warm.
- Blow Nose: Clear excess mucus.
- Milk: Increase immunity. You may want to read about How to Treat Your Stomach After Vomiting.
- Coconut Oil: Rub around the nose are so it won’t dry.
- Massage behind Earlobe: Relieves the nose.
- Raise Head: Clearer nasal passage.
- Turmeric: Roast and rub on the chest area.
- Carrot Juice: Body can fight off cold.
- Vick’s Rub: Easier breathing.
- Masala Tea: Keeps child warm.
- Salt Water Gargle: Clears out bacteria.
- Wash Hands: In case touching the nose, the hands are clean from bacteria.
- Warm Bath: Releases more mucus.
Things to Consider
Please be aware that you are not allowed to give honey or chamomile to children under a year old. Find other home remedies besides using those ingredients. Also remember to test first on your child. Make sure that they are not allergic to any of the herbs or oils mentioned here. If the condition persists then it’s best to visit the doctor. You may want to know how to get rid of earache pain at home.
Relieving a running nose is not a fast process. Continue treating your children with comfort and food to make the recovery faster.