12 Best Ways to Get Rid of An Infection in Your Mouth
Mouth is one of important part of our body. We use it to eat and communicate with others. If something bad happen to our mouth, it will be difficult to communicate and it will affect our appearance as well.
Bacteria and viruses usually cause mouth infections. They can affect the teeth, gums, palate (the roof of the mouth), tongue, lips, and inside of the cheeks. Many mouth infections are not contagious because bacteria that exist naturally in every person’s mouth cause them. A tooth abscess, canker sores, inflammation of the gums and build-up of oral bacteria can cause mouth infections. But the most common mouth infection is canker sores.
There are some common causes of mouth infections are:
- Poor Nutrition
Poor nutrition is one of main cause of mouth infection. Certain minerals and vitamins play a very important role in our oral health.
Cigarette can also cause vanity issues impacting the teeth and mouth. It can cause you to have gum disease and gum disease can lead you to many mouth infections.
- Lack of Drinking Water
Water is really important for our body especially for mouth. If you drink less water, it will make your mouth dry and affected by several mouth infections.
- Irregular Mouth Washing/Teeth Brushing
Lazy in washing your mouth or brushing your teeth it will make bacteria easily spread in your mouth.
- Gum Diseases
Gum diseases increase the amount of bacteria in the mouth, which can also lead to infections.
How to Treat Mouth Infection
After knowing the causes of mouth infection, it is time to know how to treat it in case it happens. Given below are some best ways to get rid of an infection in your mouth with home remedies.
- Lemon Balm Treatment
A daily mouthwash made from lemon balm extract helps eliminate oral bacteria. Lemon balm features antiseptic and antiviral properties, and can help prevent sores in the mouth and inflamed gums. You can add five drops of oil to your regular mouthwash, or apply it directly to the affected area. You may also read about Natural Ways to Get Rid of Dark Spots on Lips
- Myrrh Treatment
Myrrh has been a popular remedies for mouth infections for centuries. Powdered myrrh is rich in tannins, which makes it good for reducing inflammation. You can dissolve 200mg to 300mg of myrrh powder in warm water or add 4 m. of myrrh tincture to a glass of water and rinse the mouth for two to 3 minutes. This should be done two or three times a day when you brush. Meanwhile, you may also read Ways to Get Rid of Fever Blisters on Your Lips
- Goldenseal Treatment
Goldenseal has been on old-time favorite in Europe and the United States for treating and preventing infection. It has astringent and antibacterial properties and kills some infections, while reducing inflammation. Holistic Online recommends adding 2 tsp. of dried herb to a cup of boiling water. Allow it to steep for 15 minutes and strain. Rinse your mouth two or three times each day with the tea.
- Baking Soda Treatment
Baking soda has been used for centuries as a cure for many ills. It is beneficial for mouth sores because it reduces inflammation and kills bacteria. According to Health-911, you can dab baking soda straight onto the afflicted area, or dissolve 1 tsp. into a cup of warm water and use as a mouthwash. Meanwhile, you may also use baking soda as Best Way to Get Rid of Warts on Hands at Home
- Saltwater Mixture Treatment
The salt helps to reduce swelling and inflammation and also fight off infection-causing bacteria. Dissolve one teaspoon of salt in one cup of warm water. Rinse your mouth repeatedly and swish the salty water around your mouth for a few minutes to help restore and maintain healthy levels of good bacteria
- Eating Unsweetened Yogurt
Eating unsweetened yogurt to help restore and maintain healthy levels of good bacteria.
- Apply A Cold Compress
if you experience inflammation in your gums, apply an ice pack or a cool water bottle to the outside of your cheek for 5 to 10 minutes. If you do not have an ice pack, you can also wet a cloth in cold water, strain the water and hold it up to your cheek to help reduce inflammation and pain.
- Apply the ice pack or cold compress only on the outer side of your mouth; do not put it on the tooth or pain will increase.
- If you experience bleeding gums, rinse your mouth with warm water before applying a cold compress.
- If bleeding persists from the gums or teeth, immediately see your dentist or healthcare provider.
Although a cold compress helps reduce inflammation, consuming cold foods or beverages can increase tooth pain and sensitivity, and therefore should be avoided until the toothache goes away.
- Coconut Oil Treatment
Coconut oil is the most popular because it has a pleasing taste and contains antioxidants and vitamins, like vitamin E. Sesame oil and olive oil are good alternatives as well. Oil pulling involves swishing around oil in your mouth to remove harmful germs and bacteria. At least one study has shown it can reduce the amount of some bacteria found in your mouth.
- Take a tablespoon of oil and swish it in your mouth (like you would a mouthwash) for one minute to experience the benefits. If you can, try to swish the oil longer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Do this procedure on an empty stomach to ensure that the oil absorbs and detoxifies as much bacteria as possible.
- After you’re done swishing, spit the oil and wash out your mouth with lukewarm water.
Meanwhile, you may also use coconut oil as to know How to Heal Your Skin after Sunburn
- Regular Brushing Teeth
Brushing twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste and flossing once a day, both help to prevent tooth decay, gum disease and periodontal disease.
- Apply Petroleum Jelly (For Lip Sore)
Apply petroleum jelly, such as Vaseline, to ease the cracking and dryness of a lip sore. Use a lip protector to ease the pain. Don’t share your lip protector with others, because cold sores are contagious.
- Vitamin E Capsules
Puncture a vitamin E capsule and squeeze the oil onto the sore. This soothes inflammation and protects the sore.
- Aloe vera mouthwash
Aloe vera was as effective as chlorhexidine in reducing plaque and gingivitis. Both methods significantly reduced symptoms. Unlike other mouthwash options, aloe vera juice doesn’t need to be diluted. Before use, make sure the juice is 100 percent pure.
- Swish the juice in your mouth for 30 seconds.
- Spit out the solution.
- Repeat two to three times per day.
Meanwhile, those are best ways to get rid of an infection in your mouth. Also read about How to Treat Cancer with Aloe Vera
How to Prevent Mouth Infection
There are several ways for you to do in order to prevent you from mouth infection. The following are easy and simple ways to prevent it:
- Consume Nutritious Food, certain minerals and vitamins play a very important role in our oral health such as Vitamin A, Vitamin B12 B2 B3, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Calcium, Iron, Zinc, Magnesium.
- Drinking Enough Water per Day, minimum you need to drink 2 liter clean water.
- Brushing your teeth is the most important part of your dental care routine. For a healthy mouth and smile, experts recommend that you brush your teeth twice a day for two with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Use a mouthwash. For your daily oral care routine, swish 1 fluid ounce of mouthwash in your mouth after brushing and having meals for two to three minutes, then spit out.
- Quit smoking immediately because cigarettes contain lots of harmful chemical for your mouth and body.
Thus, mouth infection may be the symptoms of serious cancer sore. You can try those best ways to get rid of an infection in your mouth. But if it doesn’t cure, please visit your doctor for medical treatments.
You may also read: