12 Side Effects of Nail Polish Remover on Skin

For beauty and art reason, use nail polish is a must. Nail polish company create a thousand kinds of colour.

Then now, after nails polish create, what about the way we clean it? Well, there are some way of it to clean. There’s nail polish remover liquid, wiper, and so on.

We used to remove nail polish with nail polish remover, right? What if the nail polish remover touched to our skin accidentally???

Is the ingredients safe for us? What about the contamination to our skin? Is it safe? IS IT OKAY? what about our health if we’re exposed used nail polish remover?

We will describe this things to you. Bravely. But, before it, let us describe first about the chemistry behind a nail polish remover.

Nail polish remover ingredients are :

  • Acetone is a clear, harsh-smelling and highly flammable liquid. It’s a solvent, capable of disintegrating even plastic. This explains why it works so quickly breaking apart and removing your nail polish. Isopropyl alcohol is typically used in the making of acetone.
  • The key active ingredient in non-acetone removers is usually ethyl acetate. Made from ethanol and acetic acid, ethyl acetate is colorless and also flammable. In addition to also being used as a solvent, its fragrant smell has led to its use in perfumes.

Most of your nail polish removers are going to include solvents as ingredients.

If you can remember your lesson about polymers from high school chemistry class, think of it like this: Your nail polish remover is an organic liquid solvent.

Nail polish is a hardened organic polymer. When the remover is applied to the polish, the molecules of the solvent will force their way through the polymer molecules, causing the polish to disintegrate. Read also Natural Ways to Treat Ingrown Nail at Home – Causes – Symptoms

Because of acetone’s strength as a solvent, it shouldn’t be used on your fake nails.

The solvent in the polish remover will weaken your extensions and cause them to separate from your natural nail. One of the reasons non-acetone nail polish removers were created was to be used on nail extensions.

But for removing sparkly, glitter nail polish, it’s best to go with the big guns — acetone polish remover.

The chemicals in glitter nail polish make it more difficult than other polishes to break down. Read more  Natural Ways to Cleaning Nails

If you have strong health concerns about the chemicals used in both acetone and non-acetone polish removers, you should consider switching to a nail polish remover that doesn’t use toxic ingredients.


There are also many polish removers on the market today that boast of being fully “natural” and biodegradable.

Well, we have done describe to you about the chemical ingredients, lets jump to the main idea. Here we go.

  • If its touch your skin Nail Polish Remover will react like this!

While remove the nail polish, sometimes the liquid of nail polish remover spill to our skin. It will react to your skin!

The liquid will give you cool sensation like you have been touched by an ice. It because of the chemistry ingredients of it named acetone. In a short-term, it will not gong to destroy your skin,though.

  • Highly irritated by the Liquid

Though ethyl acetate is frequently used as a replacement for acetone in acetone-free nail polish removers, ethyl acetate has many of the same hazards as acetone.

Like acetone, ethyl acetate is highly flammable and is a respiratory tract irritant.

Continual exposure to ethyl acetate can cause redness and irritation to the eyes and nose, and the skin can become dry or highly irritated, sometimes resulting in dermatitis, according to OSHA.

  • Eye, Skin, Lungs Irritant

Propylene carbonate is another ingredient found in most nail polish removers. However, propylene carbonate is not considered to have any effect on the environment or any long-term health effects. However, propylene carbonate is an eye, skin and lung irritant. Read more Causes of Broken and Split Nails 

  • Tiredness

Toluene is a colorless chemical created from crude oil and found in gasoline that has a variety of side effects.

Even with only low to moderate exposure, individuals often exhibit symptoms like tiredness, confusion, weakness, memory loss, nausea, loss of appetite, hearing loss and color vision loss. Symptoms usually stop when exposure ends.

However, if exposed to high levels of toluene, you may become lightheaded, dizzy or sleepy, which can eventually lead to loss of consciousness or even death, according to the Department of Health and Human Services.

  • Harsh on the Skin

Acetone is the most volatile ingredient in nail polish removers. Not only is it used to remove normal nail polish, but it can also be used to remove false acrylic nails.

Because acetone is harsh on the skin, many brands offer acetone-free versions of their removers.

These nail polish removers contain ethyl acetate, the solvent used in the nail polish itself, and isopropyl alcohol, and this combination is much gentler on nails and skin.

, , , ,
Oleh :
Kategori : Nails Health