15 Ways on How to Relieve the Swollen Gums at Home Fast
Gingival Swelling is the medical terminology for the swollen gum which is familiar to people of all ages. When your gum is swelling, it is hard for you to eat the meal or even drink your mineral water. Do not panic! Here you can find several ways to relieve the swollen gum at home.
The Causes of Swollen Gums
Swollen gums comes with various causes which are;
- Gingivitis infection — Plaques accumulate in your tooth is one of the reasons of the swelling gum.
- Deficiency of nutrition — The lack of Vitamin C leads your gum to be swelling and bleeding.
- Pregnancy — The hormonal changes during pregnancy make your blood flow increases in which causing the gum become more sensitive and irritable.
- Improperly fitting dentures/other dental appliances — ill-fitting dentures can wound your gum, or even worse, cause the bleeding and inflammation.
- Excessive smoking — Are you a heavy smoker? If your answer is yes, do not be surprised if the periodontal disease hits you because it all the elements of the cigarettes can damage the gum tissue and prevent the healing process.
- Toothpaste or mouthwash — Some people can be so sensitive to one kind of ingredients in dental products. Yes, change your dental products if you experience rashes in your mouth.
- Injury — When you hit the asphalt or fall when you are riding your motorcycle can also make you experience the gum swelling.
- Incorrect brushing or flossing techniques — When do the process of brushing or flossing, do it gently and adequately because your gum is soft and sensitive.
- Viral/fungal infection — Viruses and fungi are always waiting patiently to invade your mouth. They can decay your tooth which also attacks your gum to swelling.
The Symptoms of Swollen Gums
- Gap increase between the gum and the teeth
- Bad breath
Meanwhile, also read about Ways to Heal Faster After Wisdom Teeth Removal
Home Remedies for Swollen Gums
How to relieve the swollen gums at home? Chill out! Just read the articles to the end to know how to relieve swollen gums at home, folks!
1. Warm and Cold Compresses
All you need to do is preparing;
- Clean cloth.
- Two wash-bowls filled with warm water and cold water. Then you have to:
- Soak the cloth in the warm water.
- Press the excess and place the cloth on to your affected area around one minute.
- Then, soak another clean cloth to the cold water and do the same as it with the warm water.
- Do it alternately.
The compresses will help to reduce the sore and the swelling and relaxes your headache caused by the inflammation.
How to relieve swollen gums at home? You will need:
- A glass of warm water
- A teaspoon of salt
- Add the salt to water and gargle with it.
- Repeat it twice a day and after meal time.
The properties of salt will eliminate the bacteria in your mouth and help to soothe the inflammation.
3. Clove oil
You only have to apply some drops of clove oil to the affected area and do a gentle massage hourly. Antimicrobial in this essential is potent to treat the infection and its analgesic agent help to eliminate the pain.
4. Baking soda
Baking soda is a home remedy used by many people to reduce the gum swelling because its antibacterial and antiseptic are powerful to fight the infection and reduce the inflammation.
You have to prepare:
- A tsp of baking soda
- A pinch of turmeric
- Some drops of water/essential oil
- Mix all the ingredients until it becomes a paste.
- Apply to the swollen gum, leave it within minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with water.
- Do it three times a day.
Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant content in ginger help to reduce the swollen gum. The warmth sensation of ginger can also soothe the sore. You will need:
- A small piece of ginger (3-5 cm)
- A half tsp of salt
- Grate the ginger
- Add salt and make it a coarse paste.
- Apply the paste to the swollen gum.
- Clean your mouth with warm water.
- Repeat it twice a day.
6. Lemon juice
Vitamin C in lemon can kill the microbes present in your mouth which one of the causes of the gum swelling. By rinsing with the liquid that combined with a pinch of salt twice a day, the infection will halt gradually.
7. Henna leaves
Henna leaves or Lawsonia inermis help to chase away the harmful bacteria as it contains an antimicrobial agent. All you need is:
- A few of henna leaves
- A cup of water
- Boil the water with the leaves for about 15 minutes.
- Let it warm.
- Use it to rinse your mouth thrice a day.
8. Aloe Vera Gel
Well, aloe indeed helps you with combating the microbes and bacteria within the swollen gum due to its anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties.
- Extract the gel from the aloe leaf.
- Smash the gel and apply directly to the affected area.
- Leave it for 2-5 minutes.
- Gargle with clean water.
- Repeat three times a day.
Also read about How to Treat Cancer with Aloe Vera
To relieve the swollen gum, you will find this ancient remedy on the list. It is not so surprising nor confusing because all know that turmeric has abundant properties to help to stimulate the healing process and reduce the inflammation.
- A tablespoon of turmeric
- A half teaspoon of salt
- A half teaspoon of chamomile oil (or any essential oil you have)
- Make a paste of the ingredient.
- Apply to the swollen gum.
- Leave it 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Repeat the process twice a day.
Also read about How to Treat Cancer with Turmeric
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
It works for any infection problems! Why? Because of it has a mild acid in it. All you have to prepare is a mixture of a tablespoon of ACV and a glass of water. You can rinse your mouth with it twice or thrice in a day. This is the fastest ways on how to relieve swollen gums at home.
11. Vanilla extract
Vanilla has antiseptic and analgesic properties that are effective to diminish the pain caused by the swelling. Just pinch the extracted vanilla and apply it to the affected area. Leave it four minutes before rinsing your mouth with water. Do it a couple of time a day.
Read also: How to Prevent Pelvic Floor Muscle Disorder
12. Coconut/sesame oil
Coconut oil or sesame oil can prevent the formation of plaques on your tooth which causing the swollen gum. The essential oils can reduce the bacteria and kill them right away.
- Take 3-5 tablespoons of oil.
- Swish for about 10-20 minutes (you can enjoy watching TV or reading a book while doing the process).
- Spit and wash your mouth with warm water.
- Repeat it twice a day.
13. Black tea bags
Tannin is a property present in black tea which is great to promote your oral health and helps minimize the growth of bacteria.
- One black tea bag
- A cup of water
- A pinch of salt
- Cook the water and add the tea bag as well as the salt.
- Leave the tea bag warm, and the water also.
- Apply the tea bag to the swollen area for 5 minutes.
- You can use the warm water to rinse.
- Repeat a day thrice.
You might also read How to Treat a Black Eye with Home Remedies
14. Tea tree oil
By using the tea tree oil directly to your toothpaste in the morning or before going to bed will help to prevent the growth of bacteria and promote the healing process of your swollen gums.
15. Peppermint oil
You can gargle with the mixture of:
- A teaspoon of peppermint oil
- A cup of warm water
- Use it to rinse your mouth twice a day.
- The component in peppermint oil will soothe the pain and deflate the swelling.
Another useful article: Ways How to Get Rid of Chronic Snoring
- Brush and floss your tooth twice a day/regularly to prevent the bacteria and microbes.
- Do the brushing and flossing gently because your gum is a soft and sensitive area.
- Consume food and fruits high in Vitamin C, D, and K.
- Avoid smoking or chewing tobacco.
- Drink eight glasses of water to increase saliva production which can help to defeat the bacteria.
- Relaxation and free your mind to avoid the stress which can worsen the condition.
- Visit your dentist regularly.
You can jump up to the article Home Remedies for Getting Rid of Dark Armpits
Indeed, that’s the solution about ways to relieve the swollen gum at home. May these home remedy can help you cure the swollen gums. Remember that there are many natural cures to solve and heal any pain. But. if you are not feeling good immediately, please call your doctor.